Wednesday, May 9, 2007

It's gettin' hot in here, so take off all your waders...

Date: May 9, 2007
Location: Canyon
Air temp: low to high 70s
Water temp: ??? (I really need to buy some new batteries)
Hatches: not much
Fish landed: around 6 browns

Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Xan


Day 2 of my midweek mini-vacation brought me to the Canyon. Summer seems to have arrived early, as it was already warm by the time I got to the stream. I got in around 9am and didn't see any cars at the head of the trail. I went down first to the beta hole, only to find two other fishermen.

I decided to hike down, and passed a few others along the way. Seeing more people than I expected, I made my way down to the alpha hole to waste some time throwing a bugger. After wasting a sufficient amount of time, I tied on some nymphs and started to fish my way back.

The water was very low today. Recent stream changes have also altered the good spots. There is a broken tree limb hanging over the Yeti's honey hole, though it is still fishable. Booter's glory hole has lost one of its logs, slowing down the current and the fish are now piled up along the bank.

While the water had some tint, the low levels and bright sun made it a slow day. I was also not so quick on my sets, and lost a lot of fish.

After nabbing a few browns, false-hooking others, and losing even more, I called it a day and got some Chinese food in town.

No comments: