Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Night Moves

Date: July 20, 2007
Location: Eagle, The Great Lawn & Bridge
Air temp: 70s
Water temp: ???
Hatches: too dark to see
Fish landed: skunk

Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Booter
Xan

TP


I admit, I like Bob Seger. I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure (like my secret glee of hearing Bobby Brown's "Don't Be Cruel," or some Hall & Oates), and I only have his greatest hits album, but I will go on record saying he has some fine tracks.

In our email exchanges planning out this night fishing session, I invoked a few lines of his seminal work, which serves as the title of this post. As TP was getting ready to leave work that day, whose raspy, heartland voice came on over the PA? If you guessed the seminal Michigander, Throb Seger, singing "Night Moves" no less, you get a cookie.

As we drove to the stream, we discussed the significance of this coincidence. Was it an omen? And then, it came, like a light from the heavens. "Turn the Page" burst out from Booter's radio. We had been thrice blessed by Ann Arbor's favorite son.

This was our sign.

It turned out that the fishing fucking sucked, so Bob can go to hell.

We started at Eagle to once again rain mice over the boulder field. I once again managed to foul hook a brown, while TP and Boot caught a few, though nothing big. The fierce strikes and loud splashes were curiously absent this night.

Once we gave up on the spot, we drove to the where TP and I had fished once in May and tested the waters near the bridge. Nada. We then made the short jaunt to the "Bridge," where the hits picked up, especially at Quickdraw's favorite run, but nothing of size was taken.

Next time I'll quote Kid Rock.

No comments: