Monday, February 18, 2008

Cutty$hack Returns to Square



Date: Feb 17, 2008
Location: Square Peg Round Hole
Air temp: 30s, Really Fuckin' Windy
Water temp: ???
Hatches: Crappie Minnows
Fish landed: 3

Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

QuickDraw
Naaz (non F.A.G.)

It's the Return of the Cutty$hack!

We got started about the azz crack of noon, but we were in it to win it, determined to stay till dark. We set up in a completely new spot hoping to cast the skunk off our backs. We got everything setup fairly quickly and were fishing with tip-ups in no time. It was soon after we started fishing that I realized that we did not have nearly enough Booze for an Ice fishing outing. oh well. After about an hour of fishing RobFine who had setup his shack a stone's throw away form us came over with a 13" 'bow. That was the first trout I had seen come out of that lake all winter.

About an Hour and a half into fishing I saw a nice 'bow aproach my waxie! Wow! the first keeper I had seen through my hole all winter, but he quickly took off, and a few minutes later we had a strike on one of the tip-ups, it was nothing other than a hammer handle pike.
The rest of the day we caught 3 more Hammer handles between us and had one larger pike strike. we saw a total of 3 trout all day and a few panfish, but the bite was extremely slow, a shadow of the lake it was just a year ago. I wonder what happened to make the fishing so bad on that lake. I doubt that I'll return any time soon.

No comments: