Monday, June 16, 2008

That's what a hamburger's.... all about

Date: June 14, 2008
Location: ?
Air temp: 70s
Water temp: ?
Hatches: ?
Fish landed: ?


Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Booter
Xan


Normally, I would have said my Saturday morning was starting out poorly. For starters, I had just brought my car to the shop. I should have been alarmed by the ominous fissure that ran completely across their narrow parking lot, but for some reason that worry simply didn't stick. Booter was coming to get me, and fishing was in store. The sun was shining and good feelings enveloped me.


Fruiter arrived and I hopped into Old Blue. I checked my cell and had eight texts, mostly from other fishermen eager to join us. Despite the prospects of bad fishing in low, clear water and sunny skies, and having my car swallowed by a sinkhole, life felt good. I literally did not have a care in the world. I was going fishing with friends, and that is all that mattered.


Or so I thought.

As we drove up 35W through Bloomington, Booter had to make a quick stop in the area to pick something up for work. Running on an empty stomach, we decided to hit up one of the local fast food establishments. Curving around the highway offramp, we came across a McDonalds. Duly noted, but we would look for a few more options before deciding. Only moments later, all was decided, and this good day shot through the roof to stratospheric levels. Right behind the McDs stood... an In-N-Out Burger. A MOTHERFUCKING IN-N-OUT BURGER!


I sat there slack jawed like a mouth-breather for a few seconds, trying to process what I was seeing. It didn't look like any In-N-Out I had seen before, it looked like a converted IHoP, but the name was there, along with another large sign proclaiming $1 burgers. Joy rushed from my body to my brain and then back down to my lungs as I shouted, "THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER!"

And then I woke up... on Friday morning... dehydrated and exhausted from all the drinks the night before... still trapped in a land where paunchy yokels worship Culver's pap and overpriced juicy lucys.


Fucking A.

No comments: