Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sorry, Dude

Dates: May 31, 2009
Location: Various parts of the Warwick
Air temp: 60s
Water temp: ?
Hatches: Caddis and such
Fish landed: low double digits


Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Xan


I woke up at the ass crack of 5:30, Sunday morn, and was on the river by 7:30. Like a moth to a flame, I found myself at the waterfall, only to find a mouth-breather fishing just below the base. Being a man of etiquette, I ceded the entire base area and climbed up to the second tier. As is the usual, I hooked into a nice fish, only to have it pop off. Things were a bit slow on the tiers, so I decided to climb up past the waterfall to see what I could find.

Wading and fishing upstream, I was landed the usual aggressive rainbows in small runs throughout the stream. I took a leisurely approach, enjoying the morning sunlight, seemingly catching fish at every run I tried.

Eventually, I made my way back to the falls, only to find an attractive, blond mouth-breathette fishing the base. I briefly fished the second tier, catching a bow, before moving on downstream to explore. Walking a ways, I didn't find anything worth wetting a line, so I hiked back to the car to try another spot.

I arrived at a lot upstream and found no cars. I hiked down to a money run/hole, and almost immediately had a fat 16" brown on. The fish fought hard, and took me roughly thirty feet downstream before I got a net around him.

A few more fish were brought to hand, and then the porker of the day appeared. I cast toward the opposite bank, indicator down, fish on. Another brown, between 16-18". It didn't fight as hard as the other, but it felt like a stone. I got it in the net and decided I had to take a picture. Fumbling around, I got my camera out and took a snap of him in the net. It just didn't do the fish justice. I decided to get cheeky, and setup my camera on a rock. As I tried to take the fish out of the net, he started to squirm. I wasn't able to get a good grip on him due to his girth, and he slipped out, hitting (I believe) his head on the rock, and landing in the water. At this point, I abandoned my desire to take a pic, and tried to revive him. After letting him go, he swam/drifted about a foot then sank to the bottom. Crap. I tried nudging it, and then could no longer see him through the murky water.

I fished for a bit longer, caught a couple more, then called it a day. I can only hope the fishing gods forgive my sins.

RIP

No comments: