Saturday, June 23, 2007

Up in the stream! It's a bird, it's a brook...

Date: June 22, 2007
Location: Canyon
Air temp: 70s
Water temp: ???
Hatches: very small bugs
Fish landed: 3 (2 brown, 1 brook)

Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Xan


I fled the Twin Cities after work on Friday in a quest to find some hatch action. With my entomology being at the advanced level of, "that there bug is brown and small," I was hoping for the chance of a caddis or hex hatch.

I got to the Beta Hole and saw few rises and no obvious hatch, so I tied on a few small nymphs and went to cover the flow through the pool. After little action and a few fish trying to eat my strike indicator, I moved up to fish some riffles. After a good effort and no success, I tied on a caddis and landed a plump brown. Moving back down to the Beta Hole, I began to toss my fly all over the pool. After much effort, I was finally rewarded with my first brookie of the season.

I had practiced the double haul cast a few weeks prior, and now was the time to test my abilities on the stream. I found trying to double haul a 3wt to be a bit of a challenge, and while I didn't notice much improvement in the distance of my casts, I was able to destroy a new leader.

As fishing wound down, I noticed a crane in the middle of the river downstream from me.

Giving up on fishing, and inspired by Planet Earth, I tried to snap a good pic of the bird. I won't be working on a Planet Earth sequel shoot anytime soon.

No comments: