Saturday, April 4, 2009

Master Class (in sucking ass)

Dates: April 4, 2009
Location: Eagle Pass
Air temp: 40s
Water temp: ?
Hatches: ?
Fish landed: 0


Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Xan


I got off to a late start on Saturday, which was made later with stops at Burger King, a gas station and Lunds. After I renewed my license and purchased some pink squirrels, I was on the road, ready to take advantage of the glorious overcast day.

There were four cars at Famous Original Rays, so I drove to Eagle Pass, determined to try a spot I hadn't been to this season. There were a couple of cars there, one of which departed with two anglers as I was setting up.

Fishing just upstream from the bridge, I began what would be a frustrating day of bullshit. Snags, two lost flies, getting caught in the same tree twice (once on the way up, then on the way back down), scaring every fish in the stream, destroying a leader, etc... The only fish I came close to catching was one that rose to my Royal Wulff early in the session.

I hiked up a ways upstream, fishing every decent looking spot, which were few and far between. Once again, the river was low and clear, and my late start ensured numerous anglers had already flogged the water I was fishing. On days like this, I can only take solace in the fact that I didn't impale myself with a guide or have to take a shit in the woods with just a sunflower seed bag to wipe with. There's always a bright side.

On a side note, what the fuck is up with Wisconsin and pile of shit stores like Pamida and Shopko? They seem poised to compete against Wal-Mart and Target respectively, except with roughly a quarter of the inventory. Need a store with no produce, six packs of Bud and Sanyo TVs? Pamida is your place!

No comments: