Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Of Lazy Days and Death Stares

Dates: March 21, 2010
Location: Warwick, Canyon Area, Mr. F
Air temp: 40s
Water temp: ?
Hatches: ?

Fish landed: 2 (brown and brook)

Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Xan


After a solid early season day, it was time to come back to Earth.  I went back to the Warwick, and visited the falls.  It was still blown out, so I headed over to Lunds to pick up some flies, then went to the smaller dam above the Canyon.  Standing on Dead Gosling Rock, my quest for a lunker at the head of the dam proved unsuccessful.  I went over to the little falls, and was able to land a small brown and an average brookie.  


Next, I went down to the main dam at the Canyon, and threw nymphs and streamers to no effect.  Getting hungry, I went into town and got some Chinese.  Not in much hurry to fish, I walked around the town, by the river, taking in the atmosphere.  Of all the Wisconsin towns I've been to, the Canyon's is my favorite.  Not just for the dollar flies and penny parking meters.  The place is a time warp back to the America of yesteryear, that only exists in the brains of Republicans (-N. Flanders).  On a Sunday, the town has a wonderful, lazy energy, one I was more than happy to enjoy.


I finally made my way to finish off the day at Mr. F.  I walked downstream to fish a reliable run.  I saw a few rises, but had no success with my nymphs.  I decided to give it another go with a dry, until a couple mouth-breathers came by.  One kept walking downstream, while the other started casting right into the run I was standing at.  That was enough of a sign to call it a day, and I gave the knuckle-dragger my best death stare as I walked past him to the lot. 

No comments: