Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wet n' Hard: Opener 2010


Dates: March 6, 2010
Location: EP Spot & Warwick
Air temp: 40s
Water temp: ?s
Hatches: ?
Fish landed: 0


Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Quickdraw
Booter
Xan


Another year, another opener. As I get older, I find myself getting less excited for opener. Much like closer, I know the fishing will probably suck ass. Still, while I didn't feel like a kid on Christmas morning, on the ride out to the river, I felt whole again. I would probably get skunked, but much like "Xan Time," I need time wandering around nature.

No one was eager to take the lead and choose our inaugural spot, probably to avoid the blame when everyone got the skunk. We eventually wound up at the EP Spot and found the parking lot to be surprisingly quiet. We geared up and headed downstream. The water was low and somewhat clear, but mostly ice free.


First cast of the year


So we started the game. Cast, cast, cast, cast, cast some more, move downstream, cast, cast.... Deeper runs were hard to find, but Booter found one that produced a couple modest fish. The stank would remain on Quick and I.

Booter had to leave early, so Quick and I went to a new bar for some lunch. A more modern version of the EPB&G, it had low prices, no spicy curds (just regular), but accepted credit cards. Sated with decent burgers, we decided to check out the Warwick.


Nymphing a sweet run


Things weren't so hot over at the Warwick, but it was fun to walk on the river. Below the dam, the river was running, but the trout were still not biting. Ah, the joys of opener.

No comments: