Monday, August 27, 2007

How high's the water, mama?

Date: August 19, 2007
Location: Club & Mr. F
Air temp: 70s
Water temp: ???
Hatches: ?
Fish landed: 3 (brown)

Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Xan


On Sunday, the storm clouds were still swirling over Wisconsin. I headed off to the Club to see if the overcast weather would yield scads of fish.

I started much further downstream then normal, and started to fish the tail end of a riffle. I saw three fish rising at different points, and was able to land all three on nymphs. A good start, but that proved to be all she wrote.

I moved up and tried various areas, but not much was going on. As I heard thunder in the distance, I made my way back to the car to reassess. Not long after, the heavens unleashed a torrent of rain all around. I decided to drive east, to try another stream and hopefully wait out the brunt of the storm. Eventually, I arrived at Mr. F and took shelter under the bridge. The rain continued for a bit longer, then eased into a drizzle.


The fish were still not cooperating as I moved up and down from the stream. By the time I made my way back to the bridge, the water level had risen about a foot. Tired and wet, I called it a day.

No comments: