Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Retards of the River

Date: August 12, 2007
Location: Crawdad Hole (iRiver), Warwick
Air temp: 80s
Water temp: ???
Hatches: ?
Fish landed: 4 or 5 rough fish, who cares, they are all retards


Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Xan


It's been hot and humid, the rivers are low, but I was itchin' to fish, and the heat was to ease up this day. I decided to give the trout a rest and see what the smallies were up to on the iRiver. I was also curious to check out the "Crawdad Hole."

I got to the stream and started fishing a pool downstream from the CH. My streamer did not entice any fish while I was stripping it in, but an idiot panfish did nail it while it was floating next to me between casts.

I moved up and started fishing a wide section I believed to be the CH. Not much action there, so I moved up to what I later found to be the actual CH. I picked up one smallie in the hole itself, and picked up a few more retards that hit my fly while it was right next to me. Through all this, I was also able to de-cork my popper while casting. The hook was still on the line, but the popper portion was nowhere to be found.

After getting fed up with the ugly and retarded fish, I checked out a stretch of stream high up on the Warwick. I went to my usual spot and found it slow and low, and filled with chubs. Not long after I called it a day.

No comments: