Saturday, July 31, 2010

Eastward Ho...

Dates: May 14, 2010
Location: Eau Galle
Air temp: ?
Water temp: ?
Hatches: ?

Fish landed: a couple

Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Xan
Quickdraw


QD and I had Friday off, so it was time to keep this season's exploration theme going.  We drove out a bit further east to the Eau Galle.   

The day started ominously.  After we had set up, I jumped in my car to roll my windows down a crack.  Jumping out of the car and locking the doors, I left my keys in the ignition.  With the windows a bit open, QD was able to pull one of them down a bit further, enough to reach a stick in and hit the power lock switch, saving the day.

From there, it was time to explore, and as has been the case in most of the recent exploration, it was also time to not catch shit.  If you're wondering why the Eau Galle doesn't have a code name, it's because the river sucks my balls.  Shallow and generally small, we had a hard time finding any good water to cast in.  We did find a bunch of morels at the first spot.  My eagle eye spotted a large specimen, then QD found a treasure trove of smaller ones.

We drove up and down the river, trying out different areas, almost all of it shitty.  The only decent pool/run we found was in a small town the river flowed through.  We caught a few small trout there, but not much else.  After driving around a bit more, we gave up and returned with our fungal gold.

No comments: