Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Noose


Dates: May 15, 2010
Location: Famous Original Ray's - downstream
Air temp: ?
Water temp: ?
Hatches: ?

Fish landed: a couple

Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

TAFKAY
Boot
Xan


Mission Explore 2010 continued.  We went to Famous Original Rays, not a new spot, but headed downstream instead.  Usually, the furthest down we've gone is the pool directly below the bridge, but today we forged onwards, into the great unknown.

Most of it was fairly nondescript, until we arrived at a huge, lazy pool.  Believing the pool to be too slow for love, I continued on downstream.  When I came back, I found my compatriots were KILLING it there.  A small pheasant tail, drifting slowly, ever so slowly, through the dark water was landing trout after trout (and suckers).  The current at this spot was about as fast as a three legged tortoise, but the water was deep and murky, perfect cover for fish.

The hole had another nice feature, a noose like rope, strung from a tree high above.  Looking for a diversion from my rock-stick-ball game, I grabbed the rope, put my foot in the noose and started swinging above the pool.  Great fun.  If I'm ever back there while wet wading, I will be sure to get the full effect of launching myself into the water.

After a while, Booter let me take a few casts, and with one of his non flashback PTs, I too got in on the trouty fun.  Things started to slow down not long after, and we called it a day.

No comments: