Thursday, March 6, 2008

Opener 2008 - Day 3 - The Cold

Date: March 3, 2008
Location: Warwick & Canyon
Air temp: low teens
Water temp: ???
Hatches: Little black midges
Fish landed: 2 (1 brook, 1 brown)


Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Xan
Quickdraw


I took Monday off to continue my fishing binge. QD joined me as I went for the trifecta, three streams in three days.
Sadly, this was not to be, which we learned soon after getting to the Warwick.


The winter was harsh indeed. Seeing as the river was frozen, we headed to the Canyon, where success had been found the day before.

While the temps read in the teens, the wind chill made things unpleasant. We started fishing the Beta Hole without much luck. We hiked downstream, where I caught my first brookie of the year. A smaller brown followed, both having been caught in my "go-to" run.

Finding things too cold for man and fish, I hiked down to find that Quickdraw had come to the same conclusion. It was so cold, that while cleaning ice from his guides, the tip of his rod broke off. We called it a day and headed for warmer pastures.

No comments: