Sunday, March 30, 2008

Oscar Party

Date: March 29, 2008
Location: Bridge & The Great Lawn
Air temp: mid 40s
Water temp: 46
Hatches: midges
Fish landed: 11


Present members of the Fly Anglers Guild :|: Upper Midwest Chapter, for this outing were:

Timbo
Quickdraw
Xan


The mid 40s weather had persisted since I last visited the Curd River. Timbo wanted to try the area he and I had explored last year, which is conveniently located near Quickdraw's favorite spot. We first arrived at the Bridge, and seeing as there were no cars there, we decided to take advantage of the fresh water.

QD had been riding the skunk so far this year, and if any spot would kill the skunk, it was this one. Holy shit-balls... the skunk was killed. As I was still setting up by the car, QD was landing his first fish of the year in his money run. Timbo went down to join him as I headed upriver. I landed a plump brown on my first cast, and soon brought two similar trout to hand.

Timbo made his way up to my locale, having only caught snags. During one snag, QD had pulled a Booter and caught a 16" pig. Timbo would have his due, however, as he started landing fish just upstream from me.



When QD joined us, he had landed 8 fish, 5 of which were plump, two of which were pigs. After we had fished out the two prime stretches near the road, we got in the car and headed not far upstream.

The day continued much as it had, despite the cold, cutting wind. We fucked around and got a triple double. Quickdraw was on FIRE, setting what is probably a new personal record at 17 landed trout. Timbo netted close to that, while I was also able to get over double digits.



When we dream of the start of fishing season, we dream not only of being able to fish again, but of days like this. The best bets for primo conditions are at the beginning and end of the season, and this day hath now been written in the Fly Angler's Guild lore.



A day like this needed a fitting end, and we obliged with spicy curds and burgers at the EPB&G.


3 comments:

fruitbootsie said...

F*CK!!!!

QuickDraw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
QuickDraw said...

Just waking up in the morning gotta thank God I don't know but today seems kinda odd
No barking from the dogs, no smog
And Micky D's cooked a breakfast with some hog
I got my grub on, but didn't pig out
went to the dope spot with no fishermen to kick out
Hooked it up on later as I hit the do'
Thinking will i live, another twenty-fo'
I gotta fat brown hooked him on the top
And if I set the hook, I can make the ass drop

Called up the homies and I'm askin y'all
Which spot, are y'all fishin' trout?
Get me on the river and I'm trouble
Last week fucked around and got a triple double
Freaking brothers everyway like M.D.
I can't believe, today was a good day
Drove to the pad and hit the showers
Didn't even get no static from the cowards
Cause just yesterday them fools tried to blast me
Saw the police and they rolled right past me
No flexin, didn't even look in a niggaz direction
as I ran the intersection
Went to Fruitbooter's house, Lookin at M.D.'s Spin fishing gear in the basement.
What's the haps on the holdem
Shuffle em up, shuffle em up, shuffle em up, shuffle em
lay em all down and watch me break em
With the straight flush, straight flush, straight flush
flush even Xan lost his roll yo
I picked up the cash flow
Then we played bones, and I'm yellin domino
Plus nobody I know got killed in South Central W.I.
Today was a good day
Left my niggaz house paid
Picked up a brookie been tryin to land since the twelve grade
It's ironic, I had the Bacardi he had the chronic
To speak i had to use hooked on phonics
I felt on the big fat fanny
Pulled out the nymph, and killed the brownie blimp
And my fly runs deep so deep so deep
put a brookie's ass to sleep
the bite picked up around one
went to the EPB&G for spicy Curds and some Bac-on
Drove home to the pad and I'm coasting
Took another sip of the potion hit the three-wheel motion
I was glad everything had worked out
Dropped my ass off, then Xan and Timbo rolled out
Today was like one of those fly dreams
Didn't even see a berry flashing those high beams
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the morning got the fat burger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read QuickDraw's a pimp
Drunk as hell but no throwing up
Half way home and my celly's still blowing up
Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day.
Hey wait, wait a minute fool
Stop the shit
What the fuck am I thinking about?